Winter in Sydney is a truly magical time.
Contrary to popular belief, there are heaps of awesome things to do in Sydney during colder months. In fact, the city really comes to life during winter with live gigs, enchanting light festivals, immersive art shows and magical winter-themed festivals. If you were planning on escaping the chilly winter air and hibernating for the foreseeable future, check out our definitive list of all the exciting winter activities happening around town and get into the winter spirit instead.
1. Get drenched in colour and light at the epic Vivid light festival
2. Plan a trip to the Snowy Mountains to experience winter in all its glory
3. Get on a ferris wheel and enjoy scenic Bondi vistas at the epic beachside Bondi festival
4. Indulge your inner child at Luna Park and take a walk along the harbour for views to die for
5. Book a whale watching tour and get up close and personal with some stunning sea life
6. Head over to The Rocks to experience this dazzling outdoor exhibition that celebrates Japanese art
7. Experience a mesmerising wonderland with Nature Illuminated
8. Head over to The Magician’s Cabaret for an evening of pure Parisian fun
9. Prefer an indoor activity? The MCA has heaps of exhibitions and artworks on display.
10. Be a part of the Sydney Solstice festivities that are taking over the city in style
11. Head over to the Sea Life Aquarium for a neon-themed underwater bash
12. Take a road trip to Canberra — it’s just 3 hours away and a lovely little escape from the bustle of Sydney
13. Explore the National Gallery of Australia while you’re at it.
14. Get lost in the winter wonderland that is the Darling Harbour Winter Festival
15. You simply must add the Carriageworks night market to your itinerary
16. Eat all of the ramen
17. And take all of the pictures at Kusuka Café while downing their glorious watermelon and berries latte
18. Forget your troubles and warm up with a book at one of these cosy cafes.
19. Or beat the chills the Aussie way with one of these stunning coastal walks.
20. Fine dine in style at the Strangers’ Restaurant
21. Prefer to stay in and Netflix and chill? Here’s what’s playing on Aussie TV
22. Live theatre enthusiast? There are heaps of incredible plays and musicals around the city
23. Scrounge for some vintage finds and retro memorabilia at these Sydney markets
24. Plan a date night at these dreamy Pier One igloos
25. Head over to the Macquarie Ice Skating rink for all the fun and good vibes
26. Explore the historic laneways of The Rocks and celebrate Christmas early for the Christmas in July event
27. Take a swim at the North Sydney pool (it’s heated, and the views are killer)
28. Head over to Metro Theatre for an all nighter
29. Head over to one of these cozy and gorgeous brunch places
30. Enjoy a spectacular candlelight concert
31. Get spooked with a late night tour of the Opera House
32. Treat the kids (and adults) with a trip to this immersive circus pop up in the heart of Alexandria
33. Take in live music and binge on pizza for just $1 at Sydney’s beloved Frankie’s Pizza
34. Head over to Haymarket for this awesome all-you-can-eat dumpling deal
35. Say goodbye to autumn with a day trip to Mount Wilson
36. Soak in the sun and take in the amazing 360 degree views of palm beach from Bible Garden
37. Gorge on delicious bubble waffles at Sydney’s first bubble waffle cafe
38. Get lost in the magical world of The Grounds of Alexandria (to be fair, this one is an all-year round essential)
39. Take a dip in the Figure 8 pools — but take extra caution as they’ve been deemed hazardous
40. Experience the enchanting Winter Village at Parramatta
41. Anime fans, an exclusive anime candlelight concert tailored just for you
42. Journey through time with this immersive dining experience
43. Feeling particularly adventurous? Try out Dining in the Dark
44. Soak in the sun and recalibrate from your week at one of these breath-taking beaches
45. Chocolate connoisseurs — head over to these amazing chocolate shops for some hot chocolate and amazing treats
46. Head over to Mama Saan for jazz nights and some good ol’ fun
47. Plan a trip just outside of Sydney to explore this magical disused tunnel that glows in the dark
48. Catch a magical winter sunrise at one of these spots
49. There’s live music, good food, good vibes and fairy lights galore at the Night Noodle Markets
50. All rained in? There are heaps of exciting things you can still do.
Want more suggestions on things to do? Here are 200 Awesome Things To Do In Sydney At Least Once In Your Life