Contrary to popular belief, there are heaps of awesome things to do in Sydney during the colder months. In fact, the city really comes to life during winter with live gigs, enchanting light festivals, immersive art shows and magical winter-themed festivals. If you were planning on escaping the frosty air and hibernating for the foreseeable future, check out our definitive list of all the exciting winter activities happening around town and get into the mood for winter instead.
1. Get drenched in colour and light at the epic Vivid light festival
Vivid Sydney is on. But, how you experience it is up to you.
2. The beachside Bondi Festival returns
From July 1-17, experience one of of Sydney’s most popular beaches transform into a playground of activity including the Bondi Vista Ferris Wheel and the ice rink.
3. The Moama Lights Festival is also back
From July 31 to August 21, Horseshoe Lagoon will be transformed into a vivid display of light and installations.
4. Plan a trip to the snow to experience winter in all its glory
5. Book a whale watching tour and get up close and personal with some stunning sea life
Or, head to one of these coastal lookouts for surpreme views from land.
6. Sydney Zoo is a GLOW
7. Cosy up at one of these pubs with a fireplace
8. EUPHORIA is a dance neon-drenched dance party
With aerial artists, professional dancers and Sydney’s best DJs plus special guests as your spirit guides, EUPHORIA is Cirque du Soleil meets Coachella but with views of the Sydney Opera House and the Sydney Harbour Bridge on one of the last nights of Vivid Sydney 2022.
9. Feel French on Bastille Day in The Rocks
10. Treat yourself to the Good Food & Wine show
When: Friday, June 24 – Sunday, June 26
11. Experience the Cherry Blossom Festival
It’s all happening at the Auburn Botanic Gardens as the nine-day festival prepares to usher in the start of cherry blossom season.
When: Saturday 20 August to Sunday 28 August 2022
12. Head over to The Magician’s Cabaret for an evening of burlesque, Parisian fun and more
13. Conquer this obstacle course
When: June 11-13, during the Queen’s birthday long weekend
14. Experience an enchanting Candlelight concert
From classical to pop, jazz to rock and movie soundtracks as well, Candlelight is shining bright this winter in Sydney.See all upcoming Candlelight concerts here.
15. Jazz it up at Mama Saan
This Bondi favourite does Patrón margarita feasts on Saturdays, Japanese-fusion banquets on Sundays and live music three nights a week.
16. Check out the Sydney Film Festival
When: Wednesday, June 8 until Sunday, June 19
17. Discover this suave new CDB neighbourhood
18. Celebrate the Queen’s Jubilee with gin
19. Are you up to the challenge(s) at the Hijinx Hotel?
21. Explore the Opera House on a late-night tour
22. Try sustainable wines at this winery/cellar door near Sydney
23. Hit up Pinot Palooza
25. Get involved in this new Dark Stories immersive theatre production
26. Go to the theatre
27. Dive into this Murder Mystery
28. Experience the Australian Museum after hours
29. See gentlemanly magic
30. Check out this fireplace rooftop with a view
31. Don’t miss the 23rd Biennale of Sydney
33. Just because it’s winter doesn’t mean you can’t get your sweet-treat fix
34. Go on a day trip from Sydney
35. Warm up at this theraml pool
36. Get crafty at this Turkish Mosaic Lamp workshop
37. Forget your troubles and warm up with a book at one of these cosy cafes.
38. Indulge your inner child at Luna Park and take a walk along the harbour for views to die for
39. Prefer an indoor activity? The MCA has heaps of exhibitions and artworks on display.
40. Take a road trip to Canberra — it’s just 3 hours away and a lovely little escape from the bustle of Sydney
41. Explore the National Gallery of Australia while you’re at it.
42. You simply must add the Carriageworks night market to your itinerary
43. Eat all of the ramen
44. Or beat the chills the Aussie way with one of these stunning coastal walks.
45. Scrounge for some vintage finds and retro memorabilia at these Sydney markets
46. Head over to the Macquarie Ice Skating rink for all the fun and good vibes
47. Keep an eye out for Christmas in July festivities
48. Take a swim at the North Sydney pool (it’s heated, and the views are killer)
49. Head over to Metro Theatre
50. Head over to one of these cozy and gorgeous brunch places
51. Soak in the sun and take in the amazing 360 degree views of palm beach from Bible Garden
52. Gorge on delicious bubble waffles at Sydney’s first bubble waffle cafe
53. Get lost in the magical world of The Grounds of Alexandria (to be fair, this one is an all-year round essential)
54. Take a dip in the Figure 8 pools — but take extra caution as they’ve been deemed hazardous
55. Recalibrate at one of these breath-taking beaches
56. Chocolate connoisseurs — head over to these amazing chocolate shops for some hot chocolate and amazing treats
57. Plan a trip just outside of Sydney to explore this magical disused tunnel that glows in the dark
58. Catch a magical winter sunrise at one of these spots
59. Watch out for the new dates for Night Noodle Markets
60. All rained in? There are heaps of exciting things you can still do.
Want more suggestions on things to do? Here are 200 Awesome Things To Do In Sydney At Least Once In Your Life