With so much to do for free, where should one start?
When it comes to things to do in Sydney, the sky is the limit. It can be a bit overwhelming to figure out what to do; not just for newbies but sometimes for locals too. Although Sydney isn’t exactly a cheap city, there are plenty of fun, memorable things you can do without burning a hole in your pocket. Here’s a lowdown.
1. Take a picnic to one of the many gorgeous lookout spots.
Wendy’s Secret Garden is a fabulous spot to enjoy a picnic and the scenic views all around.
2. Visit the amazing Museum of Contemporary Art.
3. While you’re at it there are free shows at other popular art galleries like The White Rabbit Gallery and The Art Gallery of New South Wales too.
4. Do the Bondi to Coogee walk.
The views are spellbinding and it’s an absolute must-see in Sydney – completely free of cost.
5. Take a guided tour of The Royal Botanical Garden.
6. Visit the Sydney Conservatorium of Music.
The public doesn’t have access to all the areas, but you can scope out three levels of the Atrium for free.
7. Make a pit stop at the St Mary’s Cathedral, it is free to visit and the architecture is gorgeous.
8. Witness a sunrise at Bronte Beach.
9. Or an epic sunset at Bradley’s Head.
10. Head for a relaxing swim at Shelly Beach.
11. If you’re a sucker for skyline views, Macquarie’s Chair is THE spot for the perfect Instagram shot to liven up your feed.
12. Cosy up with a book at the oldest library in Australia – the State Library of New South Wales.
13. Go for a stroll through the historic Queen Victoria Building.
14. Get the ultimate Sydney snap of The Opera House at dusk.
15. Visit the Australian National Maritime Museum.
The permanent exhibitions and some children’s activities are free of cost.
16. Head over to Observatory Hill for some pretty sick views.
17. Go window shopping at the Paddington Markets for some local souvenirs.
18. Get your workout the Sydney way on one of our coastal walks.
We highly recommend Spit to Manly walk.
19. The Cremorne Point Walk is lovely too if you’re looking for something short and sweet.
20. Can’t forget to visit the world-famous Bondi beach.
21. While you’re there, check out the Bondi Icebergs too.
22. Explore all the beautiful street art in Newtown.
23. Get lost in the historical laneways of The Rocks.
24. Stroll the corridors of Sydney University for some strong Hogwarts-esque vibes.
25. Take in the expansive Centennial Parklands.
26. Go beach hopping at the Northern Beaches.
27. Visit the Hornby lighthouse.
28. Go for a hike to Palm Beach.
29. Head to Darling Square and check out the futuristic library.
30. Sweat it out at a free dance class at the Opera House.
31. Splash around at the MacCallum Pool with the Harbour Bridge as your backdrop.
32. Visit Marrickville – literally voted the 10th coolest neighbourhood in the world.
33. Experience the buzz at Carriageworks and take an epic picture with its striking brick building.
34. Visit the stunning South Curl Curl Rockpool.
35. Explore hidden gardens scattered around the city.
36. Experience a bit of Japan at the Auburn Botanical Gardens*.
*Note: entry is only free on weekdays.
37. Go for a walk across the Parramatta river.
38. Try and find the Wormhole at Manly – it’s totally worth it.
39. Look for the Clifftop Aboriginal Engravings at Dobroyd Head.
40. Do some whale watching at the Gap Bluff, South Head, Watsons Bay.
41. Explore the innovative Green Square Library.
42. Use a NSW Dine & Discover voucher to dine and do a photoshoot at the mesmerising Grounds of Alexandria.
43. Take a free walking tour with The Powerhouse Museum.
44. Walk through the Paddington Reservoir Gardens.
45. Stretch it out with a free Pilates class at The Rocks.
46. Soak up the good vibes at the quirky Glebe Markets.
47. Experience the incredible State Theatre.
48. Take a stroll on the Sydney Harbour Bridge for some sick aerial views.
49. Tap into your inner child by visiting Luna Park.
There is no entry fee to stroll around the park, however you do have to pay for rides.