When it comes to things to do in Sydney, the sky is the limit. It can be a bit overwhelming to figure out what to do; not just for newbies but sometimes for locals too. Although Sydney isn’t exactly a cheap city, there are plenty of fun, memorable things you can do without burning a hole in your pocket. Here’s a lowdown of some of the best free things to do in the city.
1. Enjoy a picnic at one of many gorgeous lookout spots
Wendy’s Secret Garden is a fabulous spot to enjoy a picnic and the scenic views all around.
2. Visit the Museum of Contemporary Art
3. Enjoy a free show at the White Rabbit Gallery and The Art Gallery of New South Wales
4. Tackle the Bondi to Coogee walk
The views are spellbinding and it’s an absolute must-do in Sydney – completely free of cost.
5. Take a guided tour of The Royal Botanical Garden
6. Visit the Sydney Conservatorium of Music
The public doesn’t have access to all the areas, but you can scope out three levels of the Atrium for free.
7. Take in all the glorious architecture at St Mary’s Cathedral
8. Witness a sunrise at Bronte Beach
9. Or an epic sunset at Bradley’s Head
10. Head for a relaxing swim at Shelly Beach
11. Get the perfect Instagram shot at Mrs Macquarie’s Chair with the iconic duo
12. Cosy up with a book at Australia’s oldest library – the State Library of New South Wales
13. Take a stroll through the historic Queen Victoria Building
14. Get the ultimate Sydney snap of The Opera House at dusk
15. Visit the Australian National Maritime Museum
The permanent exhibitions and some children’s activities are free of cost.
16. Head to Observatory Hill for some pretty sick views
17. Go window shopping at the Paddington Markets
18. Get your workout the Sydney way on one of our coastal walks
We highly recommend Spit to Manly walk.
19. The Cremorne Point Walk is lovely too if you’re looking for something short and sweet
20. Plan a trip to the iconic Bondi Beach
21. Take a dip in the Bondi Icebergs
22. Explore all the beautiful street art in Newtown
23. Get lost in the historical laneways of The Rocks
24. Potterheads — explore Hogwarts at home at the Sydney University
25. Take in the expansive Centennial Parklands
26. Go beach hopping at the Northern Beaches
27. Visit the Hornby lighthouse at sunset
28. Go for a hike to Palm Beach
29. Check out Darling Square Darling Square’s futuristic library
30. Sweat it out at a free dance class at the Opera House
31. Splash around at the MacCallum Pool with the Harbour Bridge as your backdrop
32. Visit Marrickville – the 10th coolest neighbourhood in the world
33. Experience the buzz at Carriageworks
34. Visit the stunning South Curl Curl Rockpool
35. Explore hidden gardens scattered around the city
36. Experience a bit of Japan at the Auburn Botanical Gardens*
*Note: entry is only free on weekdays.
37. Go for a walk across the Parramatta river
38. Try and find the secret Wormhole at Manly
39. Look for the Clifftop Aboriginal Engravings at Dobroyd Head
40. Go for whale watching
41. Check out the rainbow wall at the Green Square Library
42. Use a Dine & Discover voucher to dine and do a photoshoot at the Grounds of Alexandria
43. Take a free walking tour with The Powerhouse Museum
44. Walk through the Paddington Reservoir Gardens
45. Stretch it out at a free Pilates class in The Rocks
46. Check out the quirky Glebe Markets
47. Watch a show at the State Theatre
48. Take a stroll on the Sydney Harbour Bridge
49. Indulge your inner child at the Luna Park
There is no entry fee to stroll around the park, however you do have to pay for rides.