Sydney Opera House turns 50 next year and to mark the momentous occasion, an entire year of festivities has been planned out. The yearlong birthday party will feature over 230 events, experiences and performances including free concerts, new artworks on the Opera House sails, exhibitions and much more.
Opera House 50th anniversary
One of the world’s most distinctive architectural structures, the Opera House has been the central hub for performing arts in Sydney. Naturally, 50 years calls for a celebration for the books. And that’s just what we’re getting.
Showcasing the very best of contemporary culture from major Australian and international artists, festivities will take over the theatres, the forecourt, on the sails and online. First Nations storytelling, tours, public art and community events are just some of the many experiences on the cards. Celebrations start in October and culminate next year in 2023.
“The Opera House is a gift, an immense source of pride to our community, and one of the busiest performing arts centers in the world. Now, after 50 years of creativity and a decade of renewal, we’re throwing the doors open and inviting everyone to be part of a year-long festival celebrating the building, its history and all forms of contemporary culture. I hope people everywhere come to experience what’s on offer and reflect on the Opera House’s past, present and future,” Sydney Opera House CEO Louise Herron AM said.
Here’s everything you can look forward to.
- Celebrations will begin with Light Years — a nightly projection on the sails from October 19-30, 2022.
- From October 20-30, 2022 free open-air choral performances by local community choirs will take over the Opera House steps.
- A number of renowned, contemporary music artists will take centre stage from November 10-19, 2022. From Tim Minchin to Vance Joy and New Zealand’s Fat Freddy’s Drop, expect a stellar line-up of performers across the 10 days.
- May 1-7, 2023 will see Inside/Out at the House — a seven-day festival featuring performances by the London Symphony Orchestra, The Australian Ballet, Sydney Symphony Orchestra, Sydney Philharmonia Choirs and the Australian Chamber Orchestra. The performances will also be broadcast live in the Forecourt for just $10.
- Throughout the month of October in 2023, the Opera House will host an Open House Festival with a series of events and performances. This will wrap up with an official ‘Open Day’ to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the Opera House.
- Plus see Michael Sheen live in a new production of Peter Shaffer’s Amadeus this summer.
Powerhouses like Sydney Theatre Company, Sydney Dance Company and The Central Australian Aboriginal Women’s Choir will also be part of the celebrations through a series of special collaborations. Many more free as well as ticketed events are expected to be released in the coming months. Get excited for unique dining experiences, exhibitions and a landmark First Nations artwork. Early next year, revamped tours of the Opera House are also coming along with new high-profile shows.
Keep your eyes peeled on the Opera House website for more details.
(All images: Supplied/ Sydney Opera House)