For it’s 26th annual national tour, Opera Australia is gearing up to take The Barber of Seville to 22 theatres across the country. The new production is a contemporary Australian reimagining of Rossini’s opera of the same name. The story follows the escapades of Figaro, a barber and leading lady Rosina. The hipster interpretation of the original work has been set in the fascinating Victorian town of Seville.
Sopranos Esther Song and Cathy-Di Zhang are set to share the role of Rosina with Nicholas Jones and John Longmuir sharing the role of Count Almaviva. Baritones Haotian Qi and Andrew Williams will share the role of Figaro.
Opera Australia’s national tour first commenced in 1996 and has since taken it’s brilliant productions to over 30,000 people across the country.
Performance Locations and Times
- Dandenong, VIC, July 15 and 16, Drum Theatre
- Warrnambool, VIC, July 21, Lighthouse Theatre
- Bendigo, VIC July, 23 Ulumbarra Theatre
- Mildura, VIC July 26, Mildura Arts Centre
- Mooroopna, VIC August 30, Westside Performing Arts Centre
- Narre Warren, VIC September 1, Bunjil Place
- Frankston, VIC September 3, Frankston Arts Centre
- Sale, VIC September 13, The Wedge
- Wagga Wagga, NSW July 28, Wagga Wagga Civic Theatre
- Griffith, NSW July 30, Griffith Regional Theatre
- Bathurst, NSW August 2, Bathurst Memorial Entertainment Centre
- Orange, NSW August 3, Orange Civic Theatre
- Dubbo, NSW August 5, Dubbo Regional Theatre
- Tamworth, NSW August 8, Tamworth Capitol Theatre
- Port Macquarie, NSW August 13, Glasshouse
- Murwillumbah, NSW August 16, Murwillumbah Civic and Cultural Centre
- Wollongong, NSW August 19 & 20, Illawarra Performing Arts Centre
- Newcastle, NSW August 25, Newcastle Civic Theatre
- Wyong, NSW August 27, The Art House
- Hobart, TAS September 7 and 8, Theatre Royal
- Launceston, TAS September 10, Princess Theatre
- Canberra, ACT September 15-17, Canberra Theatre Centre
Find more information and grab your tickets here.